Judging process and jury
TThe key criterion for any award given by the RIBA is that the project should demonstrate excellence. All RIBA Award winners are considered for the RIBA Stirling Prize. RIBA Awards juries assess design excellence irrespective of style, size or complexity of project. They also take into account constraints of budget, brief and timetable, and the economic and social contexts of each project.
Almost all buildings, even great works of architecture, have some flaws. There will be times, for example, when a flaw in the conception or the execution may be thought serious enough for the jury to reject an entry. Equally, the jury may set aside some reservations because of the overall strength of the design and the single-mindedness that has been brought to its execution.
Juries are asked to judge the quality of the design of the scheme, taking into consideration aspects such as sustainability, budget, architectural ambition and ideas, design vision, materials used, accessibility and its fitness for purpose.
An award-winning project should be capable of enduring as a fine work of architecture throughout its working life.
The 2012 jury is:
Sir Nicholas Grimshaw, architect, chair
Hilde Daem, architect, Robbrecht + Daem, Belgium
Joanna van Heyningen, architect van Heyningen and Haward
Naomi Cleaver, designer and TV presenter
Sir Mark Jones, Master St Cross College Oxford and former Director of the V&A
RIBA Stirling Prize midlist
Following the announcement of the Stirling shortlist, the RIBA can reveal which buildings were selected by the RIBA Awards Group from RIBA Award-winning schemes to form the 2012 RIBA Stirling Prize Midlist. These decisions were informed by the recommendations of the RIBA Awards visiting juries. The buildings were then visited by the RIBA Awards Group who met in mid July to agree the shortlist of six.
- Turner Contemporary, Margate David Chipperfield Architects
- Garsington Opera Pavilion, Bucks Snell Associates
- Brockholes Visitor Centre, Preston Adam Khan Architects
- The Holbourne Museum, Bath Eric Parry Architects
- The Triangle, Swindon Glenn Howells Architects
- St Pancras Chambers, London RHWL ARCHITECTS
- Phase 1 Granary Complex:
- Central St Martin’s, London Stanton Williams
- Hackney Marshes Centre, London Stanton Williams
- Exhibition Road, London Dixon Jones
- Wexford County Council Headquarters, Ireland Robin Lee Architecture
- Solid 11, Amsterdam, Netherlands Tony Fretton Architects
- maison L, Paris, France architecturespossibles
- FCN 2009, Sicily, Italy M Guiseppina Grasso Cannizzo